Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Multiskilling, upskilling, cross skilling= downsizing?

The act of getting more out of one person so you can decrease staff and increase profits at the same time? Does that really make sense?

I am looking for a job but these words cause me some concern. I am a former teacher so if I wanted to go back into teaching it would mean upskilling in order to be employable again and then once employed to develop those skills further to become multiskilled or cross skilled to keep my job. I've decided I don't want to go back into teaching however there is not much available out there without experience. I need a job that enables me to be still available to care for Mum and Dad, to be here when they need me. Being self employed would be good and maybe one day that will happen. Next week I am starting a short course at TAFE College which is Dreamweaver web design for businesses. I've already started my web page http://www.frostmedia.com.au/janisfrost/ but I need to learn some more so a friend and I are doing the class as we both have websites that need a lot of work. Who knows maybe that is the way to go. I love learning new things and I am really looking forward to doing this class.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Jan, I totally understand where you're at. I've heard about DreamWeaver and if ever I find the dollars to buy the program, I would do exactly what you're doing. I'm just using 'word as a web page' and my server based web space allowance but ONE DAY, I wanna be all grown up like you! I wish you great good luck and will be following your progress with interest.